We are offering primary school children in years 1 & 2 the opportunity to come to the historic Quay Place to learn more about World War One.Book a history school trip today
Discover and learn
During your trip, you will take part in three activities:
- Timeline Captain Douglas Nicholls’ life.
- Explore how artists and sculptors depict poppies in their work to commemorate the lives that were lost. Then they can create their own painting, poppy sculpture or design a poppy seed packet.
- Build a trench with your team. Your trench needs to be able to withstand different tasks.
Linking to the curriculum
Our school trips will link to the curriculum in the following ways:
- Learn about the impact of war on Ipswich and Quay Place
- Learn how to timeline events
- Understand how people in war are remembered
- Find out about experiences of men and women in war
Explore Quay Place
St Mary at the Quay (Quay Place) has a rich and varied history spanning over 500 years. Explore the stories of the Grade II listed church, discover its hidden features and become acquainted with the people who have been part of the journey.
Listen to a story
Travel back in time and meet our soldier, Captain Douglas Nicholls. He will tell you his stories of life during the First World War and
about the impact the war had on Ipswich. Find out more about Captain Nicholls’ significance to Quay Place.
The important bits
- The trips are half day sessions either between 9am and 11.45am or 12.30pm and 3.15pm.
- It is suitable for years 1 & 2
- Maximum of 30 children per trip
- The National Lottery Heritage Fund has provided funding to develop the school trips.
There is a limited amount of funding from The National Lottery Heritage Fund for local schools to participate in our history school trips. Please contact us on [email protected] to find out if your school is eligible.
How to get here
Our address is Quay Place, Key Street, Ipswich, IP4 1BZ.
- Coaches: Drop off outside Quay Place. There is no coach parking available.
- Walk: The location of Quay Place is suitable for local schools to walk to.
Refreshments and lunch
Quay Place will provide water and biscuits during the trip. Groups that attend the morning session are welcome to bring their own packed lunch to eat after the experience. We will provide seating. Children must be supervised by school staff.
Quay Place will provide you with a Teacher’s Pack with each trip.
Quay Place provides basic risk assessments for our activities which can be seen here. We do advise that teachers visit before the trip and do their own risk assessments in addition. You can organise this by calling 01473 569696 or emailing [email protected].
Facilities are provided for those with disabilities.
How to book
You can book your school trip in three ways:
- Email: [email protected]
- Phone: 01473 56969
- Book online: complete our online form. (If you have received a code via email please enter it into the requests section on the booking form.).